2018-2019 General Catalog
New for the 2018-2019 Catalog
Changes to General Education
New Courses & Course Changes
- Air Force ROTC has come to SUU, and with it 18 new courses with an AERO prefix.
- The School of Business added several new courses in business analytics (ANLY), economics (ECON), military science (MILS), and marketing (MKTG). Department of Management, Marketing, and Hospitality streamlined prerequisites and updated semesters offered on many of their courses in MGMT and titles on some courses in MKTG and HRHM.
- Six new EDUC courses with a STEM focus were added to the Beverley Taylor Sorenson College of Education and Human Development , along with a new PE course. The Department of Kinesiology and Outdoor Recreation and Department of Teacher Education and Family Development also updated titles, prerequisites, descriptions, and semesters offered on several courses.
- In the Walter Maxwell Gibson College of Science and Engineering , the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems split their courses into CS, CSIS, and IS prefixes and added three (3) new courses. The Department of Physical Science changed corequisites and prerequisites on most of their Geology (GEO) courses. The Department of Nursing updated most of their courses with new new titles and new course descriptions. The Department of Engineering and Technology and the Department of Mathematics both added new classes to support their programs.
- The College of Performing and Visual Arts ’s Department of Music updated their course information with clearer prerequisites, course descriptions, and semesters offered. Music also added new electives for their Master of Music Education and Master of Music in Music Technology graduate degrees. The Department of Theatre Arts and Dance , as part of their revamp of the B.F.A. in Theatre Arts programs, renamed several courses, updated semesters offered, and changed prerequisites on nearly 20 courses, as well as added eight (8) new THEA courses and two (2) new DANC courses.
- In the College of Humanities and Social Sciences , the Department of Communication changed course titles and descriptions for both undergraduate and graduate offerings and added three (3) new courses. The Department of History, Sociology, and Anthropology updated semesters offered on many ANTH and SOC courses, as well as added two (2) new upper-division HIST courses. The Department of Languages and Philosophy added a second year of CHIN courses and changed prerequisites on many upper-level SPAN courses. Both the Department of English and the Department of Psychology have added two (2) courses each.
- The School of Integrative and Engaged Learning changed the grading method and/or credits on several courses. In addition, they added two (2) new courses on Carnegie Basics and updated credits on their Prior Learning Assessment class.
- Majors that offer both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree option were combined into one entry. Several programs with emphases were split into separate entries (e.g., Aviation (A.A.S.) to Aviation - Fixed-Wing Pilot Emphasis (A.A.S.) , Aviation - Rotor-Wing Pilot Emphasis (A.A.S.) , and Aviation - Unmanned Aircraft Operator Emphasis (A.A.S.) ).
- The Computer Science (B.S.) , Engineering (B.S.) , Psychology (B.A., B.S.) , Psychology - Human Services Emphasis (B.A., B.S.) , Theatre - Classical Acting Emphasis (B.F.A.) , Theatre - Musical Theatre Emphasis (B.F.A.) , and Theatre - Theatre Design and Technology Emphasis (B.F.A.) programs underwent significant changes in course content and requirements.
- The Administrative/Supervisory License Leadership in Education & Administrative Development (LEAD) Master of Education with Administrative/Supervisory License (M.Ed. LEAD) programs decreased the required amount of internship credits, reducing the overall credit requirements.
- The Honors Program updated their entrance and graduation requirements.
- The term “Composite” was removed from the title of the following majors: Accounting (B.A., B.S.) , Business Education (B.A., B.S.) , Chemistry - Forensic Emphasis (B.S.) , Chemistry - Health Care Emphasis (B.S.) , Chemistry - Professional Emphasis (B.S.) , Computer Science (B.S.) , Construction Management (B.A., B.S.) , Engineering Technology - CAD/CAM Emphasis (B.A., B.S.) , Engineering Technology - CAD-Architectural/Civil Design Emphasis (B.A., B.S.) , Engineering Technology - Electronics Emphasis (B.A., B.S.) , Finance (B.A., B.S.) , Geology (B.S.) , Management (B.A., B.S.) , Marketing (B.A., B.S.) , Physical Science - Teacher Education Emphasis (B.A., B.S.) , and Technology Education - Career and Technical Emphasis (B.A., B.S.) programs.
- Over 35 other programs updated requirements.