May 25, 2019
The Mathematics with Applied Math Emphasis major is designed to prepare students for employment in scientific, technical, computational, and engineering fields, or for additional study at the graduate level in quantitative fields such as physics and engineering. This program combines a core set of required mathematics courses with a variety of quantitative electives from physics, chemistry, engineering, and computer science. Applied mathematicians model physical phenomena and solve real-world problems using analytic methods and computational tools.
- All courses to be counted in the major must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better.
- Students seeking the Applied Mathematics emphasis are strongly encouraged to pursue a minor in Chemistry , Physics , or Computer Science .
The Department of Mathematics strongly recommends that students complete the following courses as part of their General Education requirements, as they are prerequisites for required major courses. Students who do not complete these courses as part of General Education can potentially add additional credits and time to their degree.
* Note: Students who are not prepared for this math course may need additional math credits/preparation. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for more information.
General Education Requirement (31-36 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 Credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 19-23 Credits
Experiential Education University Requirement - EDGE Program (3 Credits)
See Experiential Education for more information.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: Most or all of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Transfer students not majoring in a math or science field may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Mathematics - Applied Mathematics Curriculum Summary (53-54 Credits)
Core Requirements (36-37 Credits)
Select One of the Following (3-4 Credits)
Support Courses (5 Credits)
Select one group of the following:
Emphasis Electives (12 Credits)
Select a minimum of 12 credits of courses and/or lecture-lab pairs from the following:
Electives (27-32 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.S. Degree: 120