The School of Integrative and Engaged Learning is a unique academic community of trans-disciplinary educators who design, teach, and promote learning experiences beyond traditional academic disciplines. We direct students in the expansion of their intellectual and practical skills to foster civic responsibility, personal and professional development, and mastery of integrative learning.
The School of Integrative and Engaged Learning will employ exemplary principles, best practices, and current research in the areas of experiential, integrated, and engaged learning to provide authentic and transformative educational experiences, while serving as a model and national leader. SIEL actively supports team members in their efforts to pursue professional development and cutting-edge academic delivery models.
- In integrative learning students should make connections across curricula and bring multiple disciplines to bear when applying their learning to practical problem solving.
- Engaged learning should provide students context for their study including how it may connect to the broader human condition and how it may affect, or be affected by, the students’ primary areas of study.*
- Experiential and project-based learning should align with the Eight Principles of Good Practice for All Experiential Learning Activities as established by our colleagues at the National Society of Experiential Education.
- A transdisciplinary academic community should welcome educators from different disciplines working jointly to create new conceptual, theoretical, methodological, and translational innovations that integrate and move beyond discipline-specific approaches to address a common problem.**
* Adapted from the AAC&U article Engaged Learning: Are We All on the Same Page?
** Adapted from Harvard’s definition of transdisciplinary research.
Departments, Programs, & Centers
Department of Aviation SciencesGo to information for Department of Aviation Sciences.
Department of Integrative and Engaged StudiesGo to information for Department of Integrative and Engaged Studies.
Centers & Institutes
Programs and Services
The School of Integrative and Engaged Learning also oversees the following programs/services: