Dec 06, 2021  
2018-2019 General Catalog 

Registration Policies and Procedures



Each student should complete registration for classes at the time and place designated by the University. Times and dates for each semester are on the web. Registration after the first week of instruction must be approved by the course instructor.

Information on registration procedures can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.

Advanced Registration

Continuing, degree-seeking students may register during advanced registration. Student Success Advisors will provide new students with a schedule for their first semester of courses. Non-degree seeking students may register at the end of new student registration.

Changes in Registration (Add or Drop)

Any student may change his or her schedule of courses by completing an official form available at the Registrar’s Office or online during applicable registration times, subject to the following limitations:

  1. Registration changes made after the first week of classes must be approved by the course instructor. Deadlines for partial term courses (1st & 2nd session) are prorated based on the shortened term.
  2. For regular fall or spring semesters, withdrawal from an individual course must be completed prior to the end of the ninth week of the term. If the student drops during the first fourteen calendar days, no record of the course will appear on his/her transcript. If the withdrawal occurs between the 15th calendar day and ninth week, a “W” for that course will appear on the transcript. For other sessions and terms, such as summer terms, withdrawal must be made before 60 percent of the term has expired.
  3. A student should be aware that all classes he/she drops must be properly processed through the Registrar’s Office. If a student stops attending a class without officially withdrawing, he/she will receive a  “UW” (failure) for the course. This grade is calculated in the GPA as an “F.”
  4. For any registration deadline that falls on a weekend, holiday, or other occasion where the campus is closed, the deadline shall be extended to the following business day.

Students are encouraged to make class selections only after consultation and guidance from their Student Success Advisor.


  • The University has placed limits on the number of times you may enroll in a course. For more information, see Grades and Credits .
  • If you intend to drop a class in which you have been issued university property–such as uniforms, instruments, or lab equipment–you must return the property before dropping the class. If you fail to do so, the Registrar’s Office will place a hold on your record.

Credit/Audit Status

During open registration, if space in the class is available, students may register for a course under audit status; that is, students may register for the course with the understanding that they will receive neither credit nor a grade. On the transcript, audit status indicates that students had a seat in the class, but may or may not have participated in class activities. Please note that the normal registration deadlines apply. No course may be changed to audit status after the fourteenth calendar day of the semester.

Faculty-Initiated Withdrawals

An instructor can withdraw a student from a course if the student has not satisfied the entrance requirements for the class. To do so, the instructor or department must notify the student of the impending withdrawal and then request the withdrawal through the Registrar’s Office. Students should not expect that an instructor will withdraw them for nonattendance. The primary responsibility for course withdrawal rests with the student.

Prerequisite Waivers

Students wishing to enroll in a course for which they have not completed the necessary prerequisites must obtain departmental approval. If the prerequisite being waived is a requirement for the student’s degree, this does not waive the need to take the course. It merely allows the student to take a higher-level course prior to completing the prerequisite.

Senior Citizen Registration

Utah residents, age 62 and over, are permitted to enroll, on a space available basis, at any of the state’s public universities and colleges, on a tuition-free, audit basis. They will be required to pay a semester administrative fee. Where applicable, senior citizens will be charged a fee for use of consumable materials. Senior citizens must register at the Registrar’s Office on or after the first day of class.

Registration Calendars

Registration information and dates are available through the Registrar’s Office. Semester start and end dates, registration change deadlines, and refund dates are available in the SUU Academic Calendar.

Withdrawal from the University

Students are permitted to completely withdraw from the University any time prior to the start of the week of final exams. A student withdrawing after the fourteenth calendar day of the semester will have a “W” recorded for each course for which he/she is registered. To withdraw from the University the student must complete the online university withdrawal process. This is available through the mySUU portal. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 435-586-7715 with any questions regarding this process.

The University recognizes that in certain circumstances a health issue may so significantly impact a student’s academic work that an Emergency Withdrawal for the term is needed. The student must complete an Emergency Withdrawal Petition (available in the Registrar’s Office) and provide written evidence from a physician and a personal explanation to the Registrar. This must be completed in a timely manner.

Important Information Concerning Withdrawals for Students Receiving Financial Aid

Students who withdraw from the University need to be aware of a federal law impacting financial aid eligibility. Complete withdrawals may result in a financial obligation by the student to return the unearned portion of any federal aid disbursed. The student may have to repay Southern Utah University and/or the U.S. Department of Education for the unearned aid which had applied toward tuition and fee charges. A repayment may also be required for unearned aid disbursed directly to the student. Students considering withdrawal from the University are strongly encouraged to discuss the potential financial consequences with a representative in the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Questions about These Policies

For questions about these policies, contact the Registrar’s Office.