Jun 19, 2019
RN to BSN Option
The selective admission process for RN to BSN students is once a year (Summer). Admission packets and deadlines are available from the Department of Nursing and College of Science & Engineering Academic Advisors or on the department website: www.suu.edu/cose/nursing SUU Department of Nursing admission is competitive and based on review of all application materials.
Minimum requirements to apply for admission include the following:
- Acceptance to SUU with all transcripts transferred to SUU (a $40.00 non-refundable application fee & official transcripts are required).
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If you have a baccalaureate or higher degree, consult with an admissions adviser.
- Completed admission application packet for the RN to BSN Degree Program.
- Completed “Department of Nursing Advisement Sheet” signed by applicant and adviser. Consult with College of Science & Engineering Academic Advisor prior to submitting your application.
- $20.00 non-refundable nursing application fee (checks made payable to “SUU Nursing”) included in your application packet.
- Copy of a valid Utah Registered Nursing License by August 1st (or copy of a valid RN license from a state that is a part of the Compact).
Applicants are notified of the committee decision by mail. All decisions by the Admissions and Advancement Committee are final and may not be appealed.
Applicants not accepted to the program may reapply for admission the following semester. Applications will not be forwarded, therefore a new application must be submitted.. Applications from individuals who have applied in the past are given no special consideration and are reviewed as a member of the current applicant pool
To Graduate with a Baccalaureate Degree from SUU
The RN to BSN student needs a minimum of 120 credits with 40 of those credits being upper division courses. Students must complete at least 30 credits at SUU and 16 of these must be in SUU nursing coursework. In addition to required nursing courses, 9 credit hours of upper division credits (3000-4000 level) must be taken. No more than five credits may be taken from any knowledge area, as defined in the General Education catalog requirements.
A list of suggested courses is available from the Department of Nursing.
An Associate of Science (AS) degree from a Utah State Institution satisfies General Education/pre-admission requirements if your degree includes: American Institutions Requirement (see General Education ) and MATH 1040 (Statistics). Otherwise these courses must be taken and completed before students can start the nursing program in May. All other degree types will be evaluated on an individual basis. Some or all of the General Education classes below may need to be completed before students can graduate.
See General Education [consult catalog for required prerequisites]
Core Course Requirements: English
Core Course Requirements: Information Literacy, and Computer Literacy
Core Course Requirements: American Institutions
Knowledge Areas Requirement: Fine Arts, Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Life Science, and Physical Science
Core Course Requirements: Quantitative Literacy
Students participating in the RN to BSN program are not required to complete the University’s Experiential Education Requirement (EER).
Advanced Standing Requirements (31 Credits)
Upper Division Credit Requirement (9 Credits)
- Select no more than 5 upper division credits in a single discipline 9 credits
Total Credits, B.S. degree (not including transfer credits): 73