The Dixie L. Leavitt School of Business offers an experiential learning environment that combines theory and practice. We prepare students, with a rural heritage, to become fully engaged productive and ethical leaders in the local, national, and global environments. Our regional service area encompasses southern Utah. In order to fulfill its mission, the School of Business
- engages students by emphasizing experiential learning activities and individual attention both inside and outside the classroom;
- empowers students and faculty to discover and apply knowledge for ethical leadership, innovation, and global awareness;
- attracts, rewards, and retains faculty who support student engagement and make relevant intellectual contribution to their fields, emphasizing applied and pedagogical activity; and
- serves in academia, the professions, and society, providing management expertise and collaborative support.
School Program Goals & Learning Outcomes
We will produce business graduates at the baccalaureate level who:
- Are able to communicate effectively through written documents and oral presentations.
- Understand ethical issues and standards as they relate to business within society.
- Possess the technical and analytical skills that are generally used to facilitate decision making in complex environments.
- Are familiar with the fundamental principles and tools associated with each major functional area of business.
- Have strong critical thinking skills.
Departments, Programs, & Centers
Department of AccountingGo to information for this department.
Department of Economics and FinanceGo to information for Department of Economics and Finance.
Department of Management, Marketing, and HospitalityGo to information for Department of Management, Marketing, and Hospitality.
Business Education (B.A., B.S.)
Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management - Event Planning and Management Emphasis (B.A., B.S.)
Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management - Food and Beverage Management Emphasis (B.A., B.S.)
Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management - Lodging Management Emphasis (B.A., B.S.)
Management (B.A., B.S.)
Marketing (B.A., B.S.)
Department of Military ScienceGo to information for Department of Military Science.
Master of AccountancyGo to information for Master of Accountancy.
Master of Business AdministrationGo to information for Master of Business Administration.
Master of Science in Business Analytics
Go to information for Master of Science in Business Analytics.
Undergraduate and graduate business programs (Accounting , Finance , Management , Marketing , Master of Accountancy , Master of Business Administration , and Master of Science in Business Analytics (M.S.) ) in the Dixie L. Leavitt School of Business are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
Regional companies and governmental institutions provide exceptional opportunities for students to develop business skills in a “professional” environment. In addition, students may complete internships overseas or spend a semester or year abroad. Students’ internship assignments are jointly supervised by company management and SUU faculty members. Academic credit is awarded for internships and financial compensation is usually available.
More information is available from the School of Business Career Services Coordinator:
BUS 106 – (435) 586-5456
Scholarships are available to students demonstrating excellence in their business core classes. Students must submit the appropriate applications by March 1. Interested students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, Sharwan Smith Center, Room 167, (435) 586-7735.
The best learning experiences include participation in organizations outside the classroom. Among the many student organizations of interest to business majors are the following:
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society
- Collegiate DECA (Marketing)
- Economics Club
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Finance Club
- Hospitality Management Guild
- PAC (Professional Accountancy Club)
- PBL (Phi Beta Lambda - Professional Business Leaders)