Jun 02, 2023
Director: Grant Corser
BC 306 – (435) 586-7899
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences administers an interdisciplinary academic program in Leadership. The goal of the Leadership certificate is to develop a core of leadership from passionate, well educated, and engaged graduates who will go on to improve public policy and increase community involvement. The making of Everyday Leaders can positively change the world.
Students must submit a program of study to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at least two (2) semesters prior to graduation. Courses and grades must also be reported to the program director one (1) semester before the student’s intended date of graduation. Students who may wish to substitute courses not listed in the certificate’s program of study must obtain prior approval from the program director.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students should be able to demonstrate and describe concepts of service leadership.
- Students should be able to demonstrate and describe effective principles of community leadership.
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the certificate.
- Students must complete their courses with an overall 3.0 GPA in the certificate.
- Students must submit a program of study with the program director at least two (2) semesters prior to graduation.
- Students must complete at least six (6) courses: five (5) courses from the Required Course List established for the certificate program and one (1) practical application course form the approved list. A total of 18 credits is required.
- All requests for course substitutions must obtain prior approval from the program director.
- Students must submit, to the program director, the Final Approval Form which lists courses taken for the certificate, along with the current transcript the semester before they intend to graduate.
- The Certificate in Leadership is granted to students who meet Southern Utah University’s requirements for graduation with a Bachelor of Arts/Science degree.
Leadership Curriculum (18 Credits)
Required Courses (15 Credits)
Students must take one course from five of the six disciplines listed below:
Practical Application Course (3 Credits)
Select one of the following (3 credits minimum):
- Study Abroad
- Service Learning
Total Credits, Certificate: 18