Sep 29, 2022
The Associate of Pre-Engineering (A.P.E.) program is designed for students who plan to complete the first two (2) years of their engineering education at Southern Utah University and then transfer to another institution to complete the requirements of the curriculum in the specialized discipline of their choice or to enter the workforce directly. Students in the A.P.E. program may also transfer to the SUU Engineering program, with the approval of the engineering faculty.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
The student must complete a total of at least 68 credit hours selecting classes as indicated below. In addition to the minimum credits indicated in each area below, students must select an additional seven (7) credits from the areas of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering. If continuing at a different school, it is highly recommended that students carefully study the course requirements of the institution where they intend to finish their degree to insure maximum applicability of coursework. SUU’s Quantitative Literacy and Science requirements of General Education are automatically satisfied by meeting A.P.E. degree requirements.
Students are strongly encouraged to work closely with a faculty advisor and their Student Success Advisor in their major emphasis area, both at initial registration and throughout their program experience.
Associate of Pre-Engineering General Education Requirements (14-16 Credits)
* Students with ACT English sub-scores of 29 or above will receive 3 credits of ENGL 1010 (Pass grade).
** Students who are not prepared for this math course may need additional math credits/preparation. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for more information.
Pre-Engineering Curriculum (54 Credits)
Engineering Electives (20 Credits)
Select a minimum of 20 credits from the following:
Math Electives (12 Credits)
Select a minimum of 12 credits from the following:
Science Electives (15 Credits)
Select a minimum of 15 credits from the following lecture/lab pairs:
Additional Credits (7 Credits)
- Select a minimum of 7 credits from the areas of Mathematics, Science or Engineering Electives above.
Total Credits, A.P.E. Degree: 68 (minimum)