Sep 20, 2021
Program Learning Outcomes
History, Theory, Analysis
- Conceptualize and perform music in its proper historical context.
- Be able to analyze harmony and other aesthetic qualities of music.
- Be able to research and write cogently about music.
- Demonstrate the ability to perceive and understand music aurally.
- A far-reaching exposure to and knowledge of literature in their area of expertise.
- Knowledge of multiple pedagogical approaches in their area of expertise.
Music in Social and Cultural Contexts
- Have an understanding of the role of music in society.
- Participate in cultural experiences which will enlarge multicultural understanding.
- Possess an understanding of the responsibility of building the audiences of the future.
- Contribute to the community and the profession through performances on a professional level.
- Promote appreciation of art music within the society.
Performance and Musicianship
- Demonstrate advanced technical and artistic performance standards in their area of expertise.
- Have a wide range of performance experience of the highest level.
- Have a broad knowledge of literature in a wide variety of musical styles.
- Demonstrate a level of technical and artistic proficiency that is on par for the national standards for success in graduate school.
- Have designed and executed musical events such as solo recitals with a level of professionalism that is on par for graduate study.
- Demonstrate a deep and broad understanding of the literature in their field.
- Play and accompany simple folk songs by ear, in any key.
- Transfer theory and skills concepts to the keyboard.
- Read at sight at the level of 4-part hymns.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Music Education - Secondary Instrumental Curriculum (75 Credits)
Music Core Requirements (45 Credits)
Music Education Requirements (30 Credits)
Major Ensemble Requirement (7 Credits)
Select 7 credits from the following:
Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Licensure (20 Credits)
To qualify for a teaching license in Music Education, students must also complete an adapted sequence of professional education courses through the Department of Teacher Education . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the College of Education and Human Development. Please consult your advisor or the Department of Teacher Education for further instruction.
Total Credits, B.M. Degree: 122-130