Sep 22, 2021
Program Learning Outcomes
History, Theory, Analysis
- Conceptualize and perform music in its proper historical context.
- Be able to analyze harmony and other aesthetic qualities of music.
- Be able to research and write cogently about music.
- Demonstrate the ability to perceive and understand music aurally.
Music in Social and Cultural Contexts
- Have an understanding of the role of music in society.
- Participate in cultural experiences which will enlarge multicultural understanding.
- Possess an understanding of the responsibility of building the audiences of the future.
Performance and Musicianship
- Demonstrate advanced technical and artistic performance standards in their area of expertise.
- Have a wide range of performance experience of the highest level.
- Have a broad knowledge of literature in a wide variety of musical styles.
- Play and accompany simple folk songs by ear, in any key.
- Transfer theory and skills concepts to the keyboard.
- Read at sight at the level of 4-part hymns.
- Ensembles: All majors must be a member of one of the following ensembles in their applied emphasis each semester: MUSC 3320 - Wind Symphony , MUSC 3350 - Opus Chamber Choir , MUSC 3360 - Concert Choir , or MUSC 3380 - Symphony Orchestra . The total minimum number of major ensemble credits required for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music is six (6).
- Music Theory: Students must be enrolled concurrently in Music Theory and Aural Skills classes.
- Piano Proficiency: Students must pass a piano proficiency exam before enrolling in MUSC 2110 - Music Theory III and MUSC 2130 - Aural Skills III . MUSC 1150 and MUSC 1160 may be taken to assist in preparation for the exam.
- In order to move to upper-level applied study (MUSC 3410 - Individual Applied Music Instruction ), students must pass the Music Gateway.
- Senior Recital: The B.A. degree requires a half-recital to be given during the junior or senior year. Students must enroll in applied music each semester until the recital requirement is met.
- To fulfill all graduation requirements, all zero (0) credit courses must appear on the transcript.
- Each major or minor in music is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook (see www.suu.edu/pva/music/handbook.html).
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major, except for Applied Music courses which require a “B” (3.0) or higher.
- An audition is required to be admitted into the music major.
- The Department of Music follows National Association of Schools of Music standards.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Music Curriculum (51 Credits)
Foundation Courses (4 Credits)
All students must satisfy these requirements before achieving advanced standing:
Music Core Requirements (41 Credits)
Major Ensemble Requirement (6 Credits)
Complete 6 credits from the following:
Free Electives (18-26 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A. Degree: 120