Dec 02, 2021
Criminal Justice Mission Statement
The mission of the criminal justice program is to provide students with a comprehensive practical and professional knowledge of the Criminal Justice System, consisting of law enforcement, courts, and corrections. Students will develop a knowledge of the application of the law, social sciences, and natural sciences to the problems of crime and delinquency.
We will fulfill this mission statement by:
- Providing a positive learning environment for students to develop the general working knowledge, ethical foundation, and technical skills to prepare them for professional careers in the Criminal Justice field.
- Providing well prepared instruction from knowledgeable and qualified faculty.
- Providing counsel and guidance regarding career opportunities, including exposure to professional agencies through an internship program.
General Education Core
See General Education
- Core Course Requirements 16-17 credits
- Knowledge Areas Requirements 16 credits
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the Experiential Education Requirement courses for graduation.
Experiential Education Requirement - EDGE Program (1-3 Credits)
Complete One Track:
Original Project Track (3 Credits)
Students create a project of their own design
Select Project Track (2 Credits)
Students select a project from the designated list
Degree Requirements (16 Credits)
BA Degree — Foreign Language Requirement (16 credits or proficiency test)
Criminal Justice Curriculum Summary
Core Requirements (21 credits)
Criminal Justice is a designated major. No grade below a “C-” will be accepted for credit toward the major.
CJ Electives (21 credits)
Select 21 credits, 12 of which must be upper division credit. All CJ classes not included in the core count as CJ electives. Additionally, the following cross-listed courses may be taken as CJ elective credit: POLS 3120 , POLS 3510 , PSY 4310 , SOC 3500 , SOC 3610 .
All CJ majors are encouraged to complete an internship (CJ 4890 ) as part of their degree. Although as many as 12 credits can be counted toward the student’s overall degree, no more than 6 credits of internship can be counted toward the CJ major.
- Free Electives may be taken (to complete BA/BS requirements, recommended free electives from the Department, etc.) as required to reach 120 total credits.
Total Credits, B.A. or B.S. degree: 120