Apr 25, 2019
Sociology Mission Statement
The Sociology program’s mission is to prepare students for life in diverse, global societies by introducing them to applied and conceptual tools that enhance critical understandings of the social world. With a curriculum rooted in the liberal arts and sciences tradition, the Sociology program supports the university’s academic mission (and general education requirements), fosters an understanding of sociological theories, principles, and methodologies, integrates service- and experiential-learning with other pedagogies, and prepares students for advanced education in addition to careers in teaching, social work, and a variety of administrative and research occupations.
General Education Core
See General Education
- Core Course Requirements 16-17 credits
- Knowledge Areas Requirements 16 credits
Experiential Education (3 Credits)
BS Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement (12 credits)
Sociology Curriculum Summary
Required Sociology Courses (18 credits)
There are two options for the Sociology Capstone.
- Option One – Research Project
Students choosing the research capstone project must complete SOC 3450 before enrolling in SOC 4999
- Option Two – Service Learning Project
Students choosing the service learning capstone project must complete SOC 3030 before enrolling in SOC 4999 .
Choose two of the following : (6 credits)
Sociology Electives (21 credits)
- 21 additional elective Sociology credit hours. 21 credits
- 2000 or higher level Anthropology courses earned at SUU may be substituted for up to 6 Sociology elective credits.
Other Electives (34 Credits)
- Free Electives 34 Credits (minimum)
Total Credits, B.S. degree: 120
* It is strongly recommended that Sociology Majors take SOC 3030
No grade below a C- will be accepted toward the major.
No more than 12 lower division (1000- and 2000- level) credit hours may count toward the Sociology major.
Students must complete SOC 3030 before enrolling in SOC 4890 /SOC 5890 .
Students may receive a maximum of 9 upper division credits toward their major for SOC 4890 /SOC 5890 .