Chemistry is a fundamental field of study that explores the physical world. Chemists seek to understand the properties and behavior of matter and then utilize this knowledge to solve problems and create solutions for critical issues related to human health, material development, and environmental issues, among many other applications. The Chemistry - Professional Emphasis (B.S.) degree is primarily designed for students wanting to attend a graduate school program in chemistry. However, students that obtain this degree find themselves highly qualified for admission to professional health programs or immediate employment in chemistry-related fields.
The Southern Utah University chemistry faculty are committed to instilling an understanding of chemistry and its relevance through quality teaching, scholarly activities, and service. In a world that is becoming increasingly more technical and complex, providing chemical instruction with the depth, breadth, and rigor required to meet this need is of primary importance.
As chemistry faculty, we endeavor to provide students with quality, current, comprehensive courses and hands-on experience to serve the following needs:
- Preparation of students for the pursuit of a graduate degree in chemistry.
- Preparation of students for the pursuit of a degree in the health sciences (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, etc.).
- Preparation of students to gain immediate employment in a chemistry-related field upon obtaining their degree.
- Preparation of students who choose to become chemical educators.
- Education of students to think critically and independently.
- Improvement of students’ communicative, creative, analytic, and information-gathering skills.
To accomplish these goals, the chemistry faculty will provide the following:
- Honest evaluations of students’ abilities and potential.
- A climate of mutual trust and respect among faculty, staff, and students.
- The explanation, demonstration, and application of basic scientific principles and methodologies.
- Opportunities for mentorship through undergraduate research, employment, and other experiential and high-impact practices.
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major.
- All prerequisite courses must be passed with “C” (2.0) or better.
- All Chemistry majors must successfully complete an exit exam before graduation.
- Knowledge of computer science is strongly recommended.
- This degree does not include the requisite number of upper-division hours. Students completing this degree will fill the upper-division requirement with elective credit.
- Credits greater than 10 years old will not be accepted in this major.
- Some courses are taught every other year. Consult your advisor for scheduling help.
- Chemistry - Professional Emphasis is recommended for students who wish to receive professional career preparation. This degree emphasis follows the guidelines set forth by the American Chemical Society.
American Chemical Society (ACS) Certification
The SUU Professional Chemistry Emphasis is certified by the ACS. Graduates can become certified ACS graduates by completing a few requirements in addition to those for the major. This certification provides additional benefits to the graduate. Please contact any chemistry faculty member for details.