Jul 21, 2024  
2023-2024 General Catalog [Current] 
2023-2024 General Catalog [Current]

Articulation Agreements

Statement on Licensure

At Southern Utah University, programs in the licensed professions are designed to fulfill the educational prerequisites for licensure in Utah. This means that, when students graduate from a SUU professional program, they have the minimum educational qualifications to apply for Utah licensure in their field.

For other U.S. states and territories, this may or may not be the case. Within a given profession, educational requirements for licensure vary from state to state. To assist students who now live or may one day live outside of Utah, SUU is currently updating a resource that explains whether each SUU professional program fulfills educational requirements for a license credential in each U.S. state and territory. Until that resource is complete, students who want assistance making this determination for themselves can contact either their

  • Department Chair OR
  • Profession’s licensure board in the state of interest

NC-SARA has provided a Professional Licensure Directory with contact information for all 50 states and 3 territories for the following professional areas:

  • Counseling
  • Nursing
  • Psychology
  • Social work
  • Teacher Education

You will also find links to Professional Licensure Boards within the table at suu.edu/academics/provost/licensure.html. If you need assistance in obtaining additional state contact information or you have any additional questions, you may contact the Department Chair of your discipline.

Potential Consequences of Moving to Another State

When you are taking courses online, where you live-the place from which you access academic resources, your location-matters. SUU must be authorized (or otherwise allowed) by your state to deliver your academic program to you. The paragraphs above explain where and how the University is authorized. Students who begin an online program while residing in a state in which SUU is authorized to offer online programs need to be aware that moving to a state in which the University is not authorized to offer the program may have negative consequences. While the University attempts to obtain authorization everywhere its students live, moving to a state in which the University is not authorized could result in the loss of eligibility for certain forms of financial aid and/or in the inability to complete the academic program.

Licensing Board Changes and Periodic Reviews

Southern Utah University will review the licensing standards periodically. SUU has the last date updated in the table below, so you will know if SUU’s programs will allow you to practice your licensure in a different state. It is possible that a state licensing board changes their requirements between SUU’s periodic reviews.

International Compliance

While Southern Utah University is currently in the process of tracking issues related to international authorization and licensure, it is a student’s responsibility to understand requirements related to whether a degree will be recognized in a country other than the United States, how the collection of student data may be used in another country, and whether withholding taxes (in addition to the price of tuition) will apply. Some countries may not formally recognize foreign online degrees, which may have implications for students who later seek to enroll in other educational programs, or for those who seek employment with that country’s government or other employers requiring specific credentials.

International students considering an academic program that leads to a professional license should first confirm with the appropriate professional licensing board in their country of residence or the country where they intend to work as to whether an SUU degree will be recognized when seeking licensure or certification.

Currently students are restricted from participating in online courses from any institution located in the United States in the following countries:

  • Cuba
  • Iran
  • North Korea
  • Sudan
  • Syria

Technical Colleges

Southern Utah University has developed several Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in General Technology degree programs that are designed to support students transferring from Southwest Technical College (STech) or Uintah Basin Technical College (UBTech). Students who complete an articulated 900+ clock hour certificate from STech or UBTech are eligible to earn a single block of 30 university credits to count toward a 63-69 credit A.A.S. in General Technology degree.

For an overview of the requirements associated with the AAS-GT degree type, see Undergraduate Degrees .

For details regarding specific STech or UBTech certificates that are part of these transfer articulation agreements, please see the following programs:

Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE)

The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education is a network of regionally accredited higher education institutions and offers various services for students within its borders, include the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), and the Interstate Passport.

Interstate Passport

Southern Utah University participates in the Interstate Passport Network, a network of regionally accredited institutions that agree to transfer completed General Education requirements as a block in a seamless and efficient process among its members. Students who transfer into Southern Utah University with a Passport from another Network-member institution will not have to repeat or take additional courses to satisfy lower-division general education requirements. (Please note: Students who transfer with a Passport from a non-Utahn public institution may be required to complete an American Institutions course, as required by Utah statute.) Earning a Passport recognizes that a student has achieved learning outcomes in the following nine (9) knowledge and skill areas, which all Network member institutions agree are consistent with their own General Education learning outcomes:

  • Foundational Skills: oral communication, written communication, quantitative literacy;
  • Knowledge of Concepts: natural sciences, human cultures, creative expression, human society and the individual; and
  • Cross-cutting Skills: critical thinking and teamwork/value systems.

For more information about the Interstate Passport, including a list of Network member institutions, see interstatepassport.wiche.edu/institute.