Dec 01, 2022
Our purpose is to encourage, promote, and sustain both a nurturing and challenging educational environment. Utilizing a liberal arts and science approach, theatre arts at SUU engages all students in a set of diverse experiences intended to cultivate their aesthetic, creative, and scholarly potential. The central tenet of our purpose is to provide exceptional teaching with personalized mentorship that challenges, enables, and grows the learner to be a dynamic individual.
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major.
- Student assessment takes place annually through audition or portfolio review for all theatre majors to assess progress and determine each student’s level of skill and competency.
- Exit interviews will be held for all graduating seniors.
- Students will have the opportunity to have their skills assessed by professionals/guest artists working in the industry and/or graduate school programs.
- Students will engage in the enrichment of the University and local community through the presentation of artistic works in theatre.
- Every student will be assigned a faculty/staff mentor. The student/mentor relationship is critical to success and progress within the program.
- Every student is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook (see www.suu.edu/pva/ta/pdf/student-handbook.pdf).
- Students will complete a Capstone which will develop original scholarship that critically evaluates and analyzes their creative practice through a written and oral defense presentation to faculty within their discipline.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Theatre Arts Curriculum (50 Credits)
Required Theatre Core (34 Credits)
Content Electives (16 Credits)
Customize to fit your individual training needs. In addition to the 34-credit core, students must complete at least 16 credits of study under the THEA prefix in an advised content area. Must be approved by your assigned faculty advisor.
Minor or Enrichment Courses (18-20 Credits)
- Complete either an established minor or 20 credits of enrichment/support courses approved by a Theatre advisor.
Free Electives (0-22 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A. Degree: 120-121
Total Credits, B.S. Degree: 120