Mar 29, 2023
Return to: Bachelor’s Degrees
Our purpose is to encourage, promote, and sustain both a nurturing and challenging educational environment. Acting at SUU engages all students in a set of diverse experiences intended to cultivate their aesthetic and creative potential while providing rigorous training within a chosen field. The central tenet of our purpose is to provide exceptional teaching with personalized mentorship that challenges, enables, and grows the learner to be a dynamic individual.
- B.F.A. students are expected to complete course-based performance assessment and must maintain a major-level GPA of 3.0 (“B” average) in theatre-based courses and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 (“C” average).
- The program is committed to student success and therefore will admit students who have the skill and, most importantly, the commitment to be successful in this professional degree program. All student candidates for the degree must interview and audition. This review process is conducted by a faculty panel.
- The department requires every B.F.A. Acting student to complete an annual interview and performance jury with a panel made up of theatre performance faculty.
- B.F.A. students will complete a significant internship during their course of study. This important practical component to the degree helps ensures students are ready to enter their chosen profession.
- All students complete a Capstone which will develop original scholarship that critically evaluates and analyzes their creative practice through a written and oral defense presentation to faculty within their discipline.
- Exit interviews will be held for all graduating seniors.
- Every student is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook (see www.suu.edu/pva/ta/pdf/student-handbook.pdf).
The B.F.A. admission process seeks evidence that each applicant possess the talent, artistic and collaborative sensibility, and most importantly, a strong sense of commitment to be successful in the program. Candidates for the B.F.A. degree will interview with faculty and audition. Students may audition for entry into the B.F.A. program upon admission to the University, or after completing their freshman year in Theatre Arts. Students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year are not eligible for admission to the B.F.A. program without chair approval.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Acting Curriculum (90 Credits)
B.F.A. Theatre Core Requirements (30 Credits)
Acting Requirements (60 Credits)
Performance Course Requirements (25 Credits)
Acting Course Requirements (24 Credits)
Dance Courses (4 Credits)
Higher placement by audition available.
Theatre Courses (20 Credits)
Support Courses (11 Credits)
- Students must complete a minimum of 11 credits of additional study under the AA, DANC, ENGL, HIST, MUSC, or THEA prefixes. Courses must be approved by students’ assigned faculty advisor.
Total Credits, B.F.A. Degree: 120-125
Return to: Bachelor’s Degrees