Dec 01, 2022
- All courses must be passed with a “C-” (1.7) or better to be counted in the major.
- Graduates from this degree program cannot be approved for Utah state certification as a teacher using this major.
- General Studies is a stand-alone program and cannot be used as a double-major with any other baccalaureate program.
- Credit earned more than 20 years ago may be considered and, if approved, counted towards the major credits needed to complete this program.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
General Studies Curriculum (49 Credits)
Required Course (1 Credit)
General Studies Courses (48 Credits)
- Any transcripted courses may be applied toward the General Studies major, provided the courses meet the minimum grade requirement.
- A minimum of 22 credits of upper-division (inclusive of GS 4000 ) must be applied toward the General Studies major. A minimum of 10 credits of upper-division coursework taken directly through SUU must be applied toward the 22 credits.
Free Electives (20-41 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120