Jan 20, 2021
The BIS major requires students to integrate two or more specific disciplines into a customized program of study, which is then linked together by a common core of classes designed to help students synthesize and communicate the relevance of the integration. BIS majors must complete a minimum of 51 credits in the program, 9 of which comprise the common core. Course substitution is not allowed within the common core. The other 42 credits will be drawn from various SUU courses, depending on the student’s needs and in consultation with the Program Director. A total of 36 upper-division credits must be within the BIS program of study. The BIS degree is housed in the College of Aerospace Sciences and Technology .
Sample Degree Programs
- Students who wish to include Aviation Sciences as part of their BIS and want to be eligible for FAA Certification should complete these courses.
- All courses must be passed with a “C-” (1.7) or better to be counted in the major.
- Graduates from this degree program cannot be approved for state certification as a teacher using this major.
- Students who wish to pursue a BIS degree must gain approval for their curriculum design from the academic coordinator within the BIS program and the Department Chair of Integrative and Engaged Studies before they have earned 75 total undergraduate credits. Students who have earned more than 75 credits should consider a different degree, such as General Studies (B.A., B.S.) . Certain circumstances may warrant exceptions with approval from the two persons listed above.
General Education Requirement (30-37 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (18-22 Credits)
Interdisciplinary Studies Curriculum Summary (51 Credits)
BIS Foundation Core (9 Credits)
Interdisciplinary Studies Courses (42 Credits)
Track One (2 Disciplines)
- Discipline 1 - 21 credits minimum, of which 15 credits must be upper-division (3000- and 4000-level)
- Discipline 2 - 21 credits minimum, of which 15 credits must be upper-division (3000- and 4000-level)
Track Two (2 Disciplines)
- Discipline 1 - 30 credits minimum, of which 18 credits must be upper-division (3000- and 4000-level)
- Discipline 2 - 12 credits minimum, all 12 of which must be upper-division (3000- and 4000-level)
Track Three (3 Disciplines)
- Discipline 1 - 15 credits minimum, of which 9 credits must be upper-division (3000- or 4000-level)
- Discipline 2 - 15 credits minimum, of which 9 credits must be upper-division (3000- or 4000-level)
- Discipline 3 - 12 credits minimum, all 12 of which must be upper-division (3000- or 4000-level)
Free Electives (32-39 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult the academic coordinator within the BIS program for details.
Total Credits, B.I.S. Degree: 120