Jan 18, 2020
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major.
- All Biology majors must show a minimal level of competency as demonstrated by the ETS® major field test in Biology. All students must satisfactorily complete the ETS® field test in Biology before taking any capstone course in the Department of Biology (BIOL 4070 , BIOL 4220 , BIOL 4400 , BIOL 4410 , BIOL 4500 , BIOL 4650 ).
- Courses may not be repeated more than two (2) times without instructor approval.
- Credits over 10 years old may not be accepted for use in the major.
General Education Requirement (30-37 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (18-22 Credits)
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Biology Curriculum Summary (56-67 Credits)
Core Requirements (23 Credits)
Required Support Courses (18 or 28 Credits)
Select a Chemistry Track (10 or 20 Credits)
* Recommended for advanced degrees (professional, graduate, etc.) in biological sciences
Biology Requirements (3000-Level) (12 Credits)
Select 12 credits from the following:
Biology Requirements (4000-Level) (3 Credits)
Select one course from the following:
Free Electives (0-43 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120