Jun 24, 2019
Southern Utah University offers a composite degree in Social Sciences for those who are seeking licensure in Secondary Education. The composite degree offers the possibility of employment in several Social Science disciplines.
- All courses must be passed with a “C-” (1.7) or better to be counted in the major.
- Teaching License: HIST 3870 , SOSC 4900 , and SOSC 4980 are required to receive a teaching license in Utah.
General Education Requirement (31-36 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 Credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 19-23 Credits
Experiential Education University Requirement - EDGE Program (3 Credits)
See Experiential Education for more information.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: Most or all of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Transfer students not majoring in a math or science field may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Social Science Composite Curriculum Summary (52 Credits)
History Requirements (18 Credits)
Geography Requirements (10 Credits)
Social Studies Requirements (24 Credits)
Select a minimum of 24 credits from the following:
Political Science Courses
Teaching License Courses
For Utah teaching license only:
Free Electives (13-34 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120
Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Licensure (38-41 Credits)
To qualify for a teaching license, students must also complete the sequence of professional education courses listed by the Department of Teacher Education and Family Development . Please see the degree requirements for Secondary Education Licensure . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the College of Education and Human Performance. Please consult your advisor or the Department of Teacher Education and Family Development for further instruction.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree with Licensure: 124-145