Nov 27, 2021
- Ensembles: All majors must be a member of one of the following ensembles in their applied emphasis each semester: MUSC 3320 , MUSC 3350 , MUSC 3360 , or MUSC 3380 . The total minimum number of major ensemble credits required for a Bachelor of Music Education degree is seven (7).
- Music Theory: Students must be enrolled concurrently in Music Theory and Aural Skills classes.
- Piano Proficiency: Students must pass a piano proficiency exam before enrolling in MUSC 2110 - Music Theory III and MUSC 2130 - Aural Skills III . MUSC 1150 and MUSC 1160 may be taken to assist in preparation for the exam.
- In order to move to upper-level applied study (MUSC 3410 ), the student must pass the Sophomore Gateway.
- Junior Recital: The B.M. degree requires a half-recital to be given during the junior or senior year. Students must enroll in applied music each semester until the recital requirement is met. The recital requirement must be completed prior to student teaching.
- To fulfill all graduation requirements, all zero (0) credit courses must appear on the transcript.
- Each major or minor in music is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook (see www.suu.edu/pva/music/handbook.html).
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major, except for Applied Music courses which require a “B” (3.0) or higher.
- An audition is required to be admitted into the music major. The Department of Music follows National Association of Schools of Music standards.
General Education Requirement (31-36 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 Credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 19-23 Credits
Experiential Education University Requirement - EDGE Program (3 Credits)
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the EDGE courses for graduation.
See Experiential Education for more information.
Music Education - Secondary Choral Curriculum Summary (76 Credits)
Music Core Requirements (45 Credits)
Music Education Requirements (31 Credits)
Major Ensemble Requirement (7 Credits)
Select 7 credits from the following:
Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Licensure (22 Credits)
To qualify for a teaching license in Music Education, students must also complete an adapted sequence of professional education courses through the Department of Teacher Education and Family Development . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the College of Education and Human Performance. Please consult your advisor or the Department of Teacher Education and Family Development for further instruction.
Total Credits, B.M. Degree: 132-137