Dec 02, 2021
- Ensembles: All majors must be a member of one of the following ensembles in their applied emphasis each semester: MUSC 3320 , MUSC 3350 , MUSC 3360 , or MUSC 3380 . The total minimum number of major ensemble credits required for a Bachelor of Music is eight (8).
- Music Theory: Students must be enrolled concurrently in Music Theory and Aural Skills classes.
- Piano Proficiency: Students must pass a piano proficiency exam before enrolling in MUSC 2110 - Music Theory III and MUSC 2130 - Aural Skills III . MUSC 1150 and MUSC 1160 may be taken to assist in preparation for the exam.
- In order to move to upper-level applied study (MUSC 3410 ), the student must pass the Sophomore Gateway.
- Junior/Senior Recitals: The B.M. degree requires a junior year half-recital and a senior year full recital. Students must enroll in applied music each semester until the recital requirement is met.
- To fulfill all graduation requirements, all zero (0) credit courses must appear on the transcript.
- Each major or minor in music is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook (see www.suu.edu/pva/music/handbook.html).
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major, except for Applied Music courses which require a “B” (3.0) or higher.
- An audition is required to be admitted into the music major. The Department of Music follows National Association of Schools of Music standards.
General Education Requirement (31-36 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 Credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 19-23 Credits
Experiential Education University Requirement - EDGE Program (3 Credits)
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the EDGE courses for graduation.
See Experiential Education for more information.
Music - Piano Performance Curriculum Summary (88 Credits)
Music Core Requirements (43 Credits)
Piano Emphasis (41 Credits)
Small Ensemble Requirement (4 Credits)
Select 4 credits from the following:
Major Ensemble Requirement (8 Credits)
Select 8 credits from the following:
Music Electives (16 Credits)
- Select 16-17 credits of MUSC electives
Foreign Language Requirement (4 Credits)
Select 4 credits from one of the following languages: French or German. One semester (4 credits) of French or German may also be used to fulfill the General Education Humanities Knowledge Area.
Free Electives (0-1 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.M. Degree: 120-127