Aug 17, 2022
History majors may be recommended for a state of Utah teaching licensure in the secondary schools by earning a bachelor’s degree. Students interested in teaching are required to take SOSC 4900 and SOSC 4980 and complete the sequence of professional education courses offered through the College of Education.
History Mission Statement
The History program is committed to preparing undergraduate students to understand their historical and cultural heritage. It supports the university’s mission by emphasizing excellence in teaching with courses grounded in the liberal arts and sciences tradition, a curriculum designed to foster knowledge of human cultures and instill intellectual and practical skills involving inquiry and analysis, critical thinking, written and oral communication, teamwork and problem solving. The History discipline supports the general education program at the university. In cooperation with the College of Education, the department prepares students for teaching careers in elementary and secondary schools, and it works to qualify majors for graduate study and advanced administrative specialization. In keeping with the university’s mission, the program emphasizes personal and social responsibility by requiring students to complete projects involving civic engagement, experiential learning, and service learning that elevate students’ civic knowledge, intercultural competence, and ethical reasoning, experiences that together provide foundations for engaged citizens and lifelong learning.
General Education Core
See General Education
- Core Course Requirements 16-17 credits
- Knowledge Areas Requirements 16 credits
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the Experiential Education Requirement courses for graduation.
Experiential Education Requirement - EDGE Program (1-3 Credits)
Complete One Track:
Original Project Track (3 Credits)
Students create a project of their own design
Select Project Track (2 Credits)
Students select a project from the designated list
Degree Requirements (16 Credits)
BA Degree — Foreign Language Requirement (16 credits or proficiency test)
History Teaching Curriculum Summary
History Teaching Major Requirements (37 Credits)
Required Classes (28 Credits)
Complete 9 credits (3 courses) from below:
At least 1 credit of Upper Division History Electives
- HIST Elective (Upper Division) 1 credit (minimum)
Electives 32 credits (minimum)
- Free Electives may be taken (to complete BA/BS requirements, recommended free electives from the Department, etc.) as required to reach 120 total credits.
Total Credits, B.A. degree: 120
History Elective Credits
- No more than 15 lower division (1000 and/or 2000 level) credits will be accepted towards the History Teaching major.
- No grade below a C- will be accepted.
- This table identifies the History major credits and courses necessary to complete the History Major portion of an undergraduate History Teaching Degree at SUU. The SUU College of Education requires additional courses and credits in order to complete the education portion of this major.
Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Licensure
Please see the degree requirements for Secondary Education Licensure . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the Teacher Education Department. Please consult your advisor or the Teacher Education Department for further instruction.