Jan 28, 2023
General Education Core
See General Education
- Core Course Requirements 16-17 credits
- Knowledge Areas Requirements 16 credits
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the Experiential Education Requirement courses for graduation.
Experiential Education Requirement - EDGE Program (1-3 Credits)
Complete One Track:
Original Project Track (3 Credits)
Students create a project of their own design
Select Project Track (2 Credits)
Students select a project from the designated list
Degree Requirements (16 Credits)
BA Degree — Foreign Language Requirement (16 credits or proficiency test)
Biology Education Curriculum Summary
Core Requirements (24 credits)
All students majoring in biology must complete the following core courses. We recommend this sequence.
Required support courses (18-28 Credits)
Recommended for advanced degrees ( professional, graduate, etc) in biological sciences
Biology Teaching Core (5 Credits*)
In order to meet state standards for a license to teach biology in secondary schools in Utah, students will complete the following (in addition to the core requirements listed above):
Biology Requirements (16-18 Credits)
Must complete 16-18 credits including one human, one animal and one plant-based course from the list below:
Additional coursework in computer science, geology and physics selected in consultation with the departmental advisor.
- Secondary Teaching Certification requires specific professional education courses. Consult the department of teacher education for additional advisement.
- This degree does not include the requisite number of upper division hours. Students completing this degree will fill the upper division requirements while completing course work for the Secondary Teaching Certificate.
- Bachelor of Arts degree must meet language requirements as outlined above in this catalog.
Secondary Education Licensure
Please see the degree requirements for Secondary Education Licensure . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the Teacher Education Department. Please consult your advisor or the Teacher Education Department for further instruction.
Free Upper Electives (3-8 credits)
- Free Upper Electives 3-8 credits (includes completing B.A. requirements).
A total of 40 upper division credits are needed for the B.A. Remaining upper division credits could be taken as part of the Secondary Education Licensure.
Total Credits, B.A. degree: 120-130
All graduating Biology majors must show a minimal level of competency as demonstrated by the ETS® major field test in Biology. All students must satisfactorily complete the ETS® field test in Biology before taking any capstone course in the Department of Biology (BIOL 4070 , BIOL 4410 , BIOL 4500 , BIOL 4510 , BIOL 4650 ).