Pre-Licensure (BSN) Option
The selective admission process for pre-licensure BSN students occurs twice per year, fall and spring semesters. Admission packets and deadlines are available from the Department of Nursing and College of Science & Engineering Academic Advisors or on the department website. SUU Department of Nursing admission is competitive and based on review of all application materials. Minimum requirements to apply for admission include the following:
- Completed admission application packet for pre-licensure BSN option.
- Acceptance to SUU with all transcripts transferred to SUU (a $40.00 non-refundable application fee & official transcripts are required).
- Completion of ALL pre-requisites; including Core Course Requirements, Knowledge Area Requirements, & Required Support Courses.1
- Completion of the required nursing admission exam.2
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all “Required Support Courses” with no course grade less than a C (C- is not acceptable).
- Completed “Department of Nursing Advisement Sheet” signed by applicant and COSE advisor. Consult with COSE Academic Advisor prior to submitting your application.
- $20.00 non-refundable nursing application fee (checks made payable to “SUU Nursing”).
1Students who are finishing pre-requisite courses during the semester they apply to the Nursing Program should hand-deliver their grade report to the Department of Nursing as soon as grades are posted.
2Current nursing admission exam information is available from the Department of Nursing office or website.
Please note that meeting the above requirements does not guarantee admission. From the applicants who meet minimum requirements, those who appear to be best qualified will be admitted.
We emphasize that in addition to grades and test scores, the Admissions and Advancement Committee uses other factors in their evaluation of who will be successful in nursing school. The goal of the Admissions and Advancement Committee is to select the most capable students. GPA and course grades are carefully scrutinized and are an important part of the application process. The application package assists us in evaluating these qualities. We expect applicants to be courteous, respectful, truthful, and professional at all times.
Applicants are notified of the committee decision by mail. All decisions by the Admissions and Advancement Committee are final and may not be appealed.
If the applicant pool exceeds the maximum number of positions available for the specified semester, several students will be considered as alternates for admission. If accepted applicants decline their acceptance or are not admitted for medical or other reasons, alternates will be notified of acceptance. The Nursing Program does not keep a waiting list from semester to semester.
Applicants not accepted to the program may reapply for admission the following semester. Applications will not be forwarded, therefore a new application must be submitted. Applications from individuals who have applied in the past are not given special consideration and are reviewed as a member of the current applicant pool. Applications from individuals who were considered acceptable but there were no spaces available for admission in the past are given consideration; however, they are reviewed as a member of the current applicant pool.
Individuals who reapply must be currently admitted to SUU. This means that they are listed as students in good standing with the University regardless of whether or not they are currently enrolled in any classes.
As with other professional programs, it is suggested that each applicant develop an alternate academic plan should he/she not be admitted into the nursing program. This could include either another major at SUU or another nursing program.