Feb 19, 2018
Two options exist for the 44 to 67 credit hours required in the composite major:
- The student must take at least 17 credit hours in each of two different disciplines at SUU, (the total of the two disciplines equaling 44 or more credits).
- The students must take at least, respectively, 17, 10, and 7 credit hours from at least three different disciplines at SUU (the total of the three disciplines equaling 44 or more credit hours).
General Education Core
See General Education
- Core Course Requirements 16-17 credits
- Knowledge Areas Requirements 16 credits
Experiential Education 3 Hours
- 51 total credits
- 9 credits from BIS Core
- 42 additional credits from one of two tracks (described below)
- Minimum 30 upper division credits (6 from the BIS core and 24 from the chosen disciplines)
- Program of study approved by BIS Program Coordinator
- Formal admission to the program required
BIS Core (Foundation core) 9 Credits
Track 1 – Integrated Studies
- Students integrate two distinct disciplines equally
- 21 credits in each discipline
- Minimum of 12 upper division credits per discipline
Track 2 – Thematic Studies
- With consultation from faculty, students chooses courses from multiple disciplines that effectively inform the topic of their BIS program of study
- 42 credits approved by Program Coordinator
Electives (33-34 credits)
- To graduate, students will need an additional 33-34 credits. Please consult with an academic advisor to determine how these credits can best be completed to compliment the student’s area of interest.
Total Credits, B.I.S. degree: 120
One BIS option in the Department of Agriculture and Nutrition Science has received formal approval. (See Agricultural Science and Industry, B.I.S. )
Other degrees in Interdisciplinary Studies may be generated in other disciplines. Contact appropriate Dean for information.