Nov 28, 2023
The Department of Aviation Sciences at Southern Utah University offers a Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in Aerospace/Aviation with two emphasis areas to choose from: Rotor-Wing (helicopter) Pilot, and Fixed-Wing (airplane) Pilot. These emphasis areas share a common core of general aviation courses (59 credits) but offer distinct lab-related flight training courses (17 credits) leading to FAA certifications to operate rotor- or fixed-wing aircraft. Students earn FAA certifications/licenses at the Private and Commercial Pilot level. Students earn FAA Ratings in Instrument, CFI, and CFII. Specialized flight labs for the two Pilot specializations involve simulators and various aircraft which are housed at the Cedar City Airport. For further information, please visit www.suu.edu/aviation.
- Students must complete all required AVTN/PILT courses with grades of “C” or better.
- Students must satisfy all credit hour requirements in all categories.
- In addition to the minimum SUU admission requirements, aviation applicants must also satisfy the following two (2) requirements:
- Each applicant must apply for and receive a First or Second Class FAA medical (done by an FAA authorized examiner, Aviation Medical Examiner); and
- Each applicant must apply for and receive a Student Pilot certificate (a two-step process with a completed online application and an in-person visit to an authorized representative for approval).
- Students must complete at least four (4) flight labs at Southern Utah University to qualify for any manned pilot degree offered by Southern Utah University. Tutor labs do not count towards this requirement. Flight instructors working for Southern Utah University may request exemption from this requirement.
- Only aviation-related internship credits may be applied toward this degree. The course instructor or Chair of Aviation Sciences will determine if an internship experience is aviation related. Students working toward this degree should register for AVTN 4890 - Professional Aviation Internship for any internship credits the student would like to apply toward this degree. At the discretion of the Chair of Aviation Sciences, internship credits for AVTN 2890 - Aviation Internship and potentially other internship courses at SUU may be applied towards the requirements of this degree. Any allowances will be applied by the appropriate substitution policy and documentation. A maximum of six (6) credit hours of internship credit may be applied toward this degree.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Aerospace/Aviation Technology - Rotor-Wing Curriculum (78 Credits)
Required Core Courses (62 Credits)
Core Electives (6 Credits)
Select 6 credits from the following:
Rotor-Wing Emphasis Courses (16 Credits)
A minimum of 4 flight labs must be completed at SUU.
Free Electives (7-12 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.S. Degree: 120