Mar 31, 2023
Our purpose is to encourage, promote, and sustain both a nurturing and challenging educational environment. Musical Theatre at SUU engages all students in a set of diverse experiences intended to cultivate their aesthetic and creative potential while providing rigorous training within a chosen field. The central tenet of our purpose is to provide exceptional teaching with personalized mentorship that challenges, enables, and grows the learner to be a dynamic individual.
- B.F.A. students are expected to complete course-based performance assessment and must maintain a major-level GPA of 3.0 (“B” average) in theatre-based courses and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 (“C” average).
- The program is committed to student success and therefore will admit students who have the skill and, most importantly, the commitment to be successful in this professional degree program. All student candidates for the degree must interview and audition. This review process is conducted by a faculty panel.
- The department requires every B.F.A. Musical Theatre student to complete an annual interview and performance jury with a panel made up of theatre performance faculty.
- B.F.A. students will complete a significant internship during their course of study. This important practical component to the degree helps ensures students are ready to enter their chosen profession.
- All students complete a Capstone which will develop original scholarship that critically evaluates and analyzes their creative practice through a written and oral defense presentation to faculty within their discipline.
- Exit interviews will be held for all graduating seniors.
- Every student is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook (see www.suu.edu/pva/ta/pdf/student-handbook.pdf).
The B.F.A. admission process seeks evidence that each applicant possess the talent, artistic and collaborative sensibility, and most importantly, a strong sense of commitment to be successful in the program. Candidates for the B.F.A. degree will interview with faculty and audition. Students may audition for entry into the B.F.A. program upon admission to the university, or after completing their freshman year in Theatre Arts. Students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year are not eligible for admission to the B.F.A. program without chair approval.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Musical Theatre Curriculum (90-92 Credits)
B.F.A. Theatre Core Requirements (30 Credits)
Musical Theatre Requirements (60-62 Credits)
Performance Course Requirements (20 Credits)
Musical Theatre Course Requirements (40-42 Credits)
Dance Core (8-10 Credits)
- Students are assigned an 8 to 10 credit dance technique core by placement and advisement with musical theatre and dance faculty. All credits must be DANC prefix.
Dance Courses (4 Credits)
Music Theory (8 Credits)
Select 8 credits based on placement:
Music Applied Voice Courses (14 Credits)
Theatre Courses (6 Credits)
Total Credits, B.F.A. Degree: 120-127