Oct 07, 2022
Our purpose is to foster academic and artistic excellence in a nurturing and challenging educational environment. Within a liberal arts and science tradition, the dance experience at SUU engages students in a rich diversity of experiences aimed to cultivate their aesthetic, creative, and scholarly potential. Central to our purpose is superior teaching and personalized mentorship that empowers and transforms the learner to be a dynamic individual.
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major.
- Students will complete a Capstone which will develop original scholarship that critically evaluates and analyzes their creative practice through a written and oral defense presentation to faculty within their discipline.
- Juries will be held annually for all dance majors to assess progress and determine each student’s level of skill and competency.
- Exit interviews will be held for all graduating students.
- Every student is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook: www.suu.edu/pva/ta/pdf/student-handbook.pdf.
- Majors will complete levels III, IV, and V in three disciplines–Jazz Dance, Modern Dance, and Ballet–and level VI in two of three.
- Dance majors may choose between the following options: 1) Complete an approved academic minor or 2) Complete a minimum of 19 credit hours (outside General Education) of enrichment courses outside of the DANC prefix (may include language requirements). Students should consult their faculty/academic advisors as they select their enrichment courses.
- To qualify for technique classes that are level III or above requires a placement audition or Departmental approval.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Dance Curriculum (54 Credits)
Required Theory Core (29 Credits)
Required Technique Core (25 Credits)
Select Two of the Following (4 Credits)
Select One of the Following (1 Credit)
Required Minor or Enrichment Courses (16-19+ Credits)
Dance majors may choose between the following options:
- Complete an approved academic minor
- Complete a minimum of 19 credit hours (outside General Education) of enrichment courses outside of the DANC prefix (may include language requirements).
Students should consult their faculty/academic advisors as they select their enrichment courses.
Free Electives (0-20 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details
Total Credits, B.A. Degree: 120-124
Total Credits, B.S. Degree: 120