Mar 30, 2023
Degrees in art are categorized as either liberal arts or as professional. The Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science is a liberal arts program. The art and design requirements are identical in both cases. The difference is that a Bachelor of Arts requires 16 credits in a foreign language, and the Bachelor of Science requires 12 science classes. It is for students who want a quicker path to a bachelor’s degree or want to combine the degree with other studies. An example is combining art and psychology to pursue a master’s degree in art therapy. Opportunities for graduates might include working in a museum, gallery, or arts organization, reviewing, writing about, or critiquing art for a newspaper, magazine, or periodical, creative art, design work, additional studies in art, art history, or museum studies.
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major.
- Transfer students must earn at least 50% of their art credits at SUU.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Art Curriculum (46 Credits)
Art Foundation Courses (31 Credits)
Art Elective Courses (15 Credits)
12 credits in ART studio courses plus one of the following ARTH courses:
- ART studio courses 12 Credit(s)
Select One of the Following
Free Electives (23-50 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120