Dec 01, 2022
2021-2022 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG–FOR INFORMATION ONLY]
Business Education (B.A., B.S.)
To graduate with Business Education major in the School of Business, students must:
- Meet the requirements of the prerequisite core in the major as listed in the Catalog. A GPA of 2.5 or better is necessary in all core areas in the major.
- If a minor is necessary, meet the requirements as stated in the Catalog.
- Meet the other requirements for graduation as defined by the University.
- Complete the General Education requirements. Transfer students can meet this requirement by the following means:
- Complete the GE requirements at one of the other four-year colleges in the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE), or
- Complete the associate of science or associate of arts degree from a community college within the USHE. (Transfer students from other community colleges must have the General Education requirements evaluated by the Registrar.) Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree must take the American Institution requirement to graduate. (This course may be taken at a junior college or at SUU. See the Academic Advisement Center or Registrar’s Office for a suitable equivalent.)
- Complete a minimum of 120 semester hours.
- Complete a minimum of 40 upper-division semester hours (course number 3000 or above from an accredited four-year college or university).
- Have an overall GPA of 2.0 or better.
- Have a 2.5 GPA or better in all of the business core and upper-division major core requirements.
- At least one (1) semester of PBL or DECA is recommended.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Business Education Curriculum (40 Credits)
Business Core (31 Credits)
Business Information Technology Core (9 Credits)
Select One of the Following
Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Licensure (36-39 Credits)*
To qualify for a teaching license, students must also complete the sequence of professional education courses listed by the Department of Teacher Education . Please see the degree requirements for Secondary Education Licensure . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the College of Education and Human Development. Please consult your advisor or the Department of Teacher Education for further instruction.
* Students who complete their teaching methods course(s) and student teaching as part of their major requirements will earn fewer than 36 credits. Those course credits are counted only once in the degree total.
Free Electives (0-20 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120-130