Aug 04, 2020
Supplemental Admission Requirements
In addition to the minimum requirements, applicants to the program must also submit (as applicable):
- Proof of one (1) year of teaching experience;
- Proof of Utah professional educator license or equivalent;
- One (1) recommendation from candidate’s current principal/administrator; and
- An educational Vision Statement of not more than 250 words.
With an approved USBE endorsement, candidates may earn an endorsement with their Master of Education degree. Students who have obtained a Utah State approved 5000-level endorsement may be able to use 12 of those credits as their M.Ed. electives. Endorsements from State Offices of Education from outside of Utah may be considered as well. See department advisor for details.
Emphasis in Special Education
Candidates may earn an emphasis in Special Education with their Master of Education degree that leads to a Level 1 Utah professional teaching license in mild/moderate disabilities K-12. See department advisor for details. This option does not require teaching experience.
Capstone Project Continuance
M.Ed. candidates who do not successfully complete the Capstone requirements (thesis) by the end of the semester in which they registered for their Capstone course must continuously enroll in EDUC 6931 - Capstone Master of Education Seminar (1 Credit) until their Capstone Project has been accepted as complete by program faculty. Candidates should meet with their Thesis Committee Chair for advisement and request to enroll in EDUC 6933 - Practitioner Research II for the semester they will defend their thesis project.
- Graduate students must complete their program within six (6) years of matriculation.
- All required courses must be passed with a “B” (3.0) or better to be counted in the degree. If a student earns a “B-” (2.7) or below in a required/core course, the course must be retaken. NO OTHER courses may be taken (even concurrently) until the grade has been raised to the minimum “B.” Failure to raise the grade in two (2) subsequent attempts will result in the student being dropped from the program. Students dropped from the program may apply for readmission after a period of five (5) years has passed.
- All elective courses must be passed with a “B-” (2.7) or better to be counted in the degree.
- Graduate students must earn a 3.0 GPA each semester. If the overall GPA falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on probation for one (1) semester. At the end of the probationary semester, if the GPA is not at or above 3.0, the student will be dropped from the program.
Master of Education Curriculum Summary (33 Credits)
Core Requirements (15 Credits)
Capstone Requirements (6 Credits)
Elective Courses (12 Credits)
- Select 12 credits of electives (may be taken from graduate-level endorsement courses or from other SUU graduate programs with approval of the M.Ed. Program Director)
Total Credits, M.Ed. Degree: 33
Please note that some students may ultimately earn more credits than listed above for the master’s degree. If the capstone cannot be completed within one (1) semester, students must be enrolled continuously in EDUC 6931 - Capstone Master of Education Seminar until completion.