Sep 18, 2020
- All courses must be passed with a “C-” (1.7) or better to be counted in the major.
- The first four (4) semesters of Spanish or equivalent studies as approved by the department are required for all students majoring or minoring in language with an emphasis in Spanish. Students with previous language experience, upon demonstration of advanced proficiency, may receive credit by examination for part or all of the following classes: SPAN 1010 , SPAN 1020 or SPAN 1030 , SPAN 2010 , and SPAN 2020 .
- Students with extensive foreign residency experience in Spanish-speaking areas are advised not to enroll in SPAN 1010 , SPAN 1020 or SPAN 1030 , SPAN 2010 , and SPAN 2020 . Such students may earn P/F credits for those courses through examination as indicated above.
- Students may only count one (1) course in which English is the language of instruction toward the Spanish B.A. (e.g., LANG 3250 , SPAN 3030 ).
- The Spanish program will accept no more than nine (9) credits of upper-division Spanish taken at another institution or on study abroad toward the major. Transfer credits not covered by articulation must be approved by the Chair of the Department of Languages and Philosophy .
- Other than transfer credit, internship and study abroad credits should not exceed three (3) credits per denomination. SPAN 4980 should not exceed two (2) credits. Total credit toward a Spanish Major with a SPAN 4893 , SPAN 4920 , and SPAN 4980 denomination must not exceed a maximum of six (6) credits.
- Independent study courses are reserved for situations of extreme necessity. Trying to get a major in a period of a year and a half or less does not fit such description, and it should be avoided through careful planning. Under no circumstances will more than two (2) independent studies be allowed towards a major.
All students must satisfy these requirements before achieving advanced standing. All Spanish majors and minors have the following core courses which must be satisfied:
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Spanish Curriculum Summary (32 Credits)
Required Courses (14 Credits)
Spanish Electives (18 Credits)
Select 18 credits from the following:
* SPAN 4610 - Special Topics in Hispanic Studies may be taken for credit more than once under different titles/topics.
** These courses are part of the State of Utah Spanish Bridge Program and are taught only in high schools and for high school students. They are not taught at SUU for university students.
Free Electives (45-53 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A. Degree: 120