Feb 07, 2023
2020-2021 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG–FOR INFORMATION ONLY]
French Teaching (B.A.)
Program Learning Outcomes
- Discuss (orally or in writing) abstract subjects and communicate supporting opinions.
- Critically analyze and interpret cultural artifacts and a wide variety of texts.
- Deliver coherent presentations on a variety of topics.
- Are capable of designing lesson plans for language classes (teaching majors).
- Are capable of incorporating culture into lessons (teaching majors).
- Demonstrate knowledge of literary terms, genres and concepts.
- Narrate and describe in all major time frames.
- Read and write about academic and professional topics.
- All courses must be passed with a “C-” (1.7) or better to be counted in the major.
- The first four semesters of French or equivalent studies as approved by the department are required for all students majoring or minoring in language with an emphasis in French. Students who demonstrate advanced proficiency may receive credit by examination for some or all of the following classes: FREN 1010 , FREN 1020 or FREN 1030 , FREN 2010 , and FREN 2020 or FREN 2030 .
All students must satisfy these requirements before achieving advanced standing. All French majors and minors have the following core courses which must be satisfied:
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
French Teaching Curriculum Summary (35 Credits)
Required Courses (30 Credits)
Select Four of the Following (12 Credits)
Select Three of the Following (9 Credits)
Requirements for Teacher Candidates (5 Credits)
To qualify for the teaching license, students must complete the sequence of professional education courses listed by the Department of Teacher Education and Family Development. (See Secondary Education Licensure .) Students may be recommended for the Utah Basic Professional Licensure within secondary education by earning the bachelor’s degree and satisfactorily completing the major/minor program. Those working toward the major may also select an appropriate minor.
Free Electives (34-50 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A. Degree: 120
Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Licensure (36-39 Credits)*
To qualify for a teaching license, students must also complete the sequence of professional education courses listed by the Department of Teacher Education . Please see the degree requirements for Secondary Education Licensure . Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the College of Education and Human Development. Please consult your advisor or the Department of Teacher Education for further instruction.
* Students who complete their teaching methods course(s) and student teaching as part of their major requirements will earn fewer than 36 credits. Those course credits are counted only once in the degree total.
Total Credits, B.A. Degree with Licensure: 120