Apr 01, 2023
Return to: All Programs at SUU
Program Learning Outcomes
- Possess the technical and analytical skills that are generally used to facilitate decision making in complex environments.
- Be able to communicate effectively through written documents and oral presentations.
- Understand ethical issues and standards as they relate to business within society.
- Be familiar with the fundamental principles and tools associated with each major functional area of business.
- Have strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Have effective written communication skills.
- Be able to conduct basic econometric analysis; appreciate the major issues involved in estimating, using, interpreting and evaluating econometric models.
- Understand macroeconomic principles at an intermediate level and be able to apply standard models to contemporary policy questions and problems.
- Understand microeconomic principles at an intermediate level and be able to apply them to the analysis of individual, firm and market behavior.
- Be able to model and solve a wide range of optimization problems in economics and related fields.
- Understand basic probability and statistical inference and be able to apply these concepts in data analysis and decision making.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Economics Curriculum Summary (41-42 Credits)
Foundation/Prerequisite Courses (11-12 Credits)
Select One of the Following (3-4 Credits)
Core Courses (21 Credits)
Elective Courses (9 Credits)
- 9 credits of upper-division ECON courses
Free Electives (27-55 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120
Return to: All Programs at SUU