Apr 01, 2023
Return to: All Programs at SUU
- All courses must be passed with a “C-” (1.7) or better to be counted in the major.
- A maximum of three (3) internship credits (COMM 4890 ) count toward major hours. Credit for internship will not be given unless approved by the department chair at the beginning of the semester. See department for details.
- Students with a specific interest in film are advised to discuss the elective options with a communication department faculty member.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will understand the factors that impact communication in various media contexts.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for scholarly research as well as the in current communication professions, industries and outlets and effectively serve their audiences.
- Students make connections among ideas and experiences and can synthesize and transfer their learning to new, complex situations that apply to real-world and industry situations.
- Students will be able to research, organize, create and present relevant messages to inform, persuade, entertain or build rapport with selected and specific audiences
- Students are able to explain how theory and models can be used to communicate effectively in public and private contexts
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of current media technologies and their capabilities, limitations and implications from multiple perspectives, including that of producer, participant and audience.
- Students strategically and responsibly employ appropriate technologies to explore, create, collaborate, and organize in a digital context.
The Department of Communication strongly recommends that students complete the following courses as part of their General Education , as they are prerequisites for required major courses and/or requirements for graduation. Students who do not complete these courses as part of General Education can potentially add additional credits and time to their degree. These courses may or may not need to be taken before starting any major courses; consult a Student Success Advisor for details.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Communication - Media Studies Curriculum Summary (42 Credits)
Required Core Courses (9 Credits)
Media Studies Emphasis Required Courses (27 Credits)
Media Studies Emphasis Electives (6 Credits)
Select 6 credits from the following courses or any other approved communication courses:
Free Electives (27-48 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120
Return to: All Programs at SUU