Nov 30, 2021
2020-2021 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG–FOR INFORMATION ONLY]
Art (B.A., B.S.)
Program Learning Outcomes
- Learn to analyze works of art/design perceptively and to evaluate them critically.
- Present work that demonstrates perceptual acuity, conceptual understanding and technical facility at a professional entry level in their chosen field(s)
- Develop and understanding of the common elements and vocabulary of art/design and of the interaction of these elements and be able to employ this information in analysis. Acquire the ability to place works of art/design in historical, cultural, and stylistic contexts.
- Gain functional competence with principles of visual organization (two-dimensional design), including the ability to work with visual elements in two and three dimensions; color theory and its applications; and drawing.
- Become familiar with the historical achievements, current major issues, processes, and directions of their field(s).
- Be afforded opportunities to exhibit their work and to experience and participate in critiques and discussions of their work and the work of others.
- Acquire the ability to place works of art/design in historical, cultural, and stylistic contexts. In certain areas of specialization, it is advisable to require that students study the historical development of works within the specialization.
- While synthesis is a lifetime process, by the end of undergraduate studies students should be able to work independently on a variety of art and/or design problems by combining, as appropriate to the issue, their capabilities in studio, analysis, history, and technology
- Students must acquire a working knowledge of technologies and equipment applicable to their areas of specialization.
- All courses must be passed with a “C” (2.0) or better to be counted in the major.
- Transfer students must earn at least 50% of their art credits at SUU.
General Education Requirement (30-35 Credits)
See General Education for course options.
- Core Course Requirements (12-15 Credits)
- Knowledge Area Requirements (16-20 Credits)
Please note: All students must complete a minimum of 30 credits between the Core and Knowledge Area requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree Type: Arts or Science Requirement (12* or 16** Credits)
Select one degree type from either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Requirement (12 Credits*)
- Bachelor of Science Degree - Math or Science minimum requirement 12 Credits
* Note: A portion of the B.S. requirements may be met by fulfilling the General Education Core and Knowledge Areas. Because of this, these credits are typically not counted in the degree total at the bottom of page. Some students majoring in non-science fields may need additional math/science courses to reach the minimum 12 credits. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree - Foreign Language Requirement 16 Credits
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Art Curriculum Summary (46 Credits)
Art Foundation Courses (31 Credits)
Art Elective Courses (15 Credits)
12 credits in ART studio courses plus the following ARTH course:
Free Electives (23-50 Credits)
Total elective credit is determined by General Education courses taken, degree type selected, additional credits earned, and any additional math or other prerequisite courses needed. For a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 40 upper-division credits (courses numbered 3000-4999). Students may need to select additional upper-division courses not included in their major requirements in order to reach this minimum. Please consult your Student Success Advisor for details.
Total Credits, B.A./B.S. Degree: 120