Jun 19, 2018
The sociology program’s mission is to prepare students for life in diverse, global societies by introducing them to applied and conceptual tools that enhance critical understandings of the social world. With a curriculum rooted in the liberal arts and sciences tradition, the sociology program supports the University’s academic mission (and General Education requirements), fosters an understanding of sociological theories, principles, and methodologies, integrates service- and experiential-learning with other pedagogies, and prepares students for advanced education in addition to careers in teaching, social work, and a variety of administrative and research occupations.
- No grade below a C- will be accepted toward the major.
- No more than 12 lower division (1000- and 2000-level) credit hours may count toward the Sociology major.
- Students must complete SOC 3030 before enrolling in SOC 4890 /SOC 5890 .
- Students may receive a maximum of 9 upper division credits toward their major for SOC 4890 /SOC 5890 . Consult your advisor for further information.
General Education Requirement (32-36 Credits)
See General Education .
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 20-23 credits
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree Requirement (16 Credits**)
B.A. Degree - Foreign Language Requirement (16 credits)
** Note: One semester of a foreign language may also fulfill the General Education Humanities requirement. The 16 credits may be fulfilled by taking four semesters of a foreign language or by testing out of a language and purchasing the credits. These credits are typically counted in the degree total at the bottom of the page. Consult a Student Success Advisor for details.
Sociology Curriculum Summary (45 Credits)
Required Sociology Courses (18 Credits)
Select One Capstone Route
- Option One - Research Project
Students choosing the research capstone project must complete SOC 3450 before enrolling in SOC 4999 .
- Option Two - Service Learning Project
Students choosing the service learning capstone project must complete SOC 3030 or SOC 4500 before enrolling in SOC 4999 .
Choose Two of the Following (6 Credits)
Sociology Electives (21 Credits)
- 21 additional elective Sociology credit hours.
- 2000 or higher level Anthropology courses earned at SUU may be substituted for up to 6 Sociology elective credits.
Other Electives (30 Credits)
- Free Electives may be taken (to complete BA/BS requirements, recommended free electives from the Department, etc.) as required to reach 120 total credits.
Total Credits, B.A. Degree: 120