Apr 17, 2021
General Education Core
See General Education
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 20-22 credits
Experiential Education University Requirement - EDGE Program (3 Credits)
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the EDGE courses for graduation.
See Experiential Education .
Total Credits in General Education: 35-38
Music Core Requirements (45 Credits)
Music Education Core Requirements (31 Credits)
Music Electives: minimum required - 0
Total Credits in Music Core: 76
Secondary Education Requirements for Licensure
Please see Secondary Education Licensure for the degree requirements for Secondary Education Licensure. Some classes required for the licensure cannot be taken until the teacher candidate has been admitted to the Teacher Education Department. Please consult your advisor or the Teacher Education Department for further instruction.
Total Credits in Professional Education: 21
- Music Theory: Students must be enrolled concurrently in Music Theory and Aural Skills classes.
- Ensembles: Each major must be a member of one of the following ensembles in his/her applied emphasis each semester except when student teaching -MUSC 3320 , MUSC 3340 , MUSC 3360 , MUSC 3380 . The total minimum number of major ensemble credits required for a B.M.Ed. Degree is 7.
- Piano Proficiency: Students must pass a piano proficiency exam. MUSC 1150 & MUSC 1160 may be taken to assist in preparation for the exam.
- Senior Recital: B.M.Ed. Degree in Music Education requires a senior year half recital. Music Education students must enroll in applied music each semester until the recital requirement is met. The senior recital must be completed prior to student teaching.
- In order to move to upper level study (3410) the student must pass the Sophomore Gateway.
- To fulfill graduation requirements all zero credit courses must appear on the transcript to fulfill degree requirements.
- Each major or minor in music is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook. http://www.suu.edu/pva/music/handbook.html
- Secondary Instrumental: 62-64 credit hours minimum (33 of which must be 3000-4000 level)
- Every student is required to pass all classes in their major with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher, except Applied Music which requires a “B” (3.0) or higher.
Total Credits in General Education (35-38)
Total Credits in Music (76)
Total Credits in Professional Education (21)
Total Credits B.M.Ed. Secondary Choral Emphasis 132-135