Nov 30, 2020
- Music Theory: Students must be enrolled concurrently in Music Theory and Aural Skills classes.
- Piano Proficiency: Students must pass a piano proficiency exam. MUSC 1150 & MUSC 1160 may be taken to assist in preparation for the exam.
- Junior/Senior Recitals: The B.M. Degree requires a junior year half recital and a senior year full recital. Students must enroll in applied music each semester until the recital requirement is met.
- In order to move to upper-level study (MUSC 3410 ), the student must pass the Sophomore Gateway.
- To fulfill all graduation requirements, all zero (0) credit courses must appear on the transcript.
- Each major or minor in music is required to abide by the policies and procedures set up in the Departmental Student Handbook: http://www.suu.edu/pva/music/handbook.html.
- Foreign Language Requirement: Four semesters of a foreign language are required for the BM degree in voice, two semesters of a foreign language are required for the BM degree in Instrumental music, and one semester is required for the BM degree in piano performance. The foreign language requirement may be distributed among French and/or German.
- Every student is required to pass all classes in their major with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher, except Applied Music which requires a “B” (3.0) or higher.
An audition is required to be admitted into the music major. The music department follows National Association of Schools of Music Standards.
General Education Requirement (32-36 Credits)
See General Education .
- Core Course Requirements 12-13 credits
- Knowledge Area Requirements 20-23 credits
Experiential Education University Requirement - EDGE Program (3 Credits)
NOTE: As of 7/12/2019, students pursuing this bachelor’s degree are no longer required to complete the EDGE courses for graduation.
See Experiential Education .
Foreign Language Requirement (4 credits)
Select one from the following languages: French or German (4 credits)
One semester (4 credits) of French or German may be used to also fulfill the GE Humanities requirement.
Music Core Requirements (43 Credits)
Piano Emphasis (41 Credits)
Small Ensemble Requirement- chosen from the following (4 credits)
Major Ensemble Requirement – chosen from the following (8 Credits)
Music Electives (11-14 Credits)
Total Credits B.M. Piano Emphasis: 120
Note: Students must earn at least 120 credits to satisfy university graduation requirements; because it is possible to complete all degree requirements with fewer than 120 credits, additional elective coursework may be required.