Dean: Richard Saunders
Sherratt Library 302C ~ (435) 865-8392
Associate Dean: Matt Nickerson
Sherratt Library 303F ~ (435) 568-1955
Library Media Program Director: Caitlin Gerrity
Sherratt Library 303H ~ (435) 586-1908
Dean’s/Department Administrative Assistant: Sheri Butler
Sherratt Library 302 ~ (435) 586-7947
Professors: Matt Nickerson, Richard Saunders
Associate Professors: Scott Lanning, Philip Roché
Assistant Professors: Anne Diekema, Caitlin Gerrity, Paula Mitchell, Doug Wayman
Lecturer: Jill Mallek
Master of Education Degree with School Library Media Endorsement (M.Ed.)
Undergraduate Library/Media K-12 Endorsement
Graduate Library/Media K-12 Endorsement
Overview of Department/Program
The Library Media Department at SUU offers all the coursework necessary for the Library Media minor and the Utah Library Media Endorsement (both undergraduate and graduate).
The Library Media Endorsement Program provides:
- Completely online coursework with a focus on 21st century skills
- Opportunities for practical experience
- Knowledgeable and diversely experienced faculty
- Instruction based on AASL Standards for Library Media Programs
- Individual attention
To ensure that every student in the library media program acquires a mastery of professional competencies upon completion of degree/endorsement.
Department/Program Learning Outcomes
AASL’s 21st-Century Approach to School Librarian Evaluation
The Library Media Program adheres to AASL’s 21st-Century Approach to School Librarian Evaluation, a process that guides and supports professional development throughout a school librarian’s career.
Students completing the LM Endorsement Program will be able to demonstrate proficiency in each of the following standards:
- Teaching for Learning
- Building the Learning Environment
- Empowering Learning through Leadership
AASL’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner
To earn the Library Media Endorsement students must:
- Successfully complete the Southern Utah University program for library media endorsement with a GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Pass the required Praxis II: Subject Assessment Test #0311 within 5 years of applying to the program. Test information is available at http://www.schools.utah.gov/cert/Endorsements-ECE-License/Library-Media.aspx.
- Create an electronic portfolio during the program.
- Complete 100 hours of practical experience.
Admission to the library media endorsement program is completed via admission to Southern Utah University.
Admission to the Master of Education Degree with School Library Media Endorsement (M.Ed.) is made through the College of Education. (https://suu.edu/ed/tehd/admission.html)
- May transfer up to six hours of library endorsement courses from other universities. For equivalent courses between universities please see the Utah State Office of Education Library Endorsement application. Coursework completed outside of Utah will need to be approved by the Library Curriculum Committee. All transfer courses must have a grade of B- or better.
- Courses older than 5 years will not be accepted.